What Are Urban Commuter Electric Bikes?
April 15, 2023
Tired of being stuck in slow-as-molasses traffic? Or behind people who just don’t seem to move or pay attention to the cars around them? It’s time to become an electric bike commuter.
These bikes are lifesavers if you’re looking to ditch your car, reduce your carbon footprint, and get some exercise at the same time—and these are only some of the benefits of electric bike commuting.
Here’s everything you need to know about urban commuter electric bikes: what they are, how they help you skip the grueling traffic jams in your city, and more.
More About Urban Commuter Electric Bikes
An urban commuter electric bike is a bicycle fitted with a motor that gives an extra push behind your wheels as you pedal, allowing you to avoid traffic jams and delays, tackle steep hills without burning your legs off, and arrive at your destination sweat-free.
These bikes come with lightweight frames, narrow tires, and streamlined designs that allow for easy maneuvering in crowded streets and tight spaces. Plus, they have an average speed of twenty to twenty-eight miles per hour (mph), helping you run errands without needing to get your car out of the garage or call an Uber.
For example, Ride1Up’s 700 Series can cover thirty to fifty miles without needing to pedal. These eBikes can go as fast as twenty-eight mph with pedal assist and twenty mph when throttling. When that speed is combined with the lightweight alloy frame, you can cover long distances in a jiffy.
Types of Urban Commuter Bikes
If you want to decrease your fuel spend, get some sun, or save on Uber costs, getting an urban commuter bike is a must. Here is some important information about the three most popular types of these bikes that can help guide your purchasing decision:
- Commuter bikes: These bikes are made for city living and have safety features such as fenders, lights, and racks for carrying small items.
- Cargo bikes: These bikes have an extended frame and racks for carrying heavy loads like groceries or packages.
- Folding bikes: These bikes are excellent if you have limited space at home or work. They can be folded and carried onto a bus or train, too.
What to Look for in an Urban Commuter Electric Bike
When you’re searching for an urban commuter electric bike, keep a look out for the following:
- High-capacity battery: A high-capacity battery will help you ride longer distances without needing to recharge. This is crucial if you’re planning to commute to work.
- Pedal-assist or throttle control: Pedal-assist will give a power boost when you pedal, while throttle control will enable you to ride without needing to pedal at all. You can get a bike with both if you tend to travel longer distances.
- Lightweight frame: An electric bike with a lighter frame, such as the Roadster V2, is easier to maneuver around tight corners and city streets. It’s also more comfortable.
- Comfortable seat and handlebars: If your seat isn’t comfortable, you won’t be able to ride your bike for long, so look for seats and handlebars that are easy to use.
How to Choose the Right Electric Bike for Your Needs
If you’re wondering how to find an electric bike that’s right for you, here’s what to do:
Assess Your Commuting Distance and Terrain
If you travel over fifty miles to work each day, you’ll need an electric bike with a larger battery, such as the Prodigy. For shorter commutes, a smaller battery may be sufficient.
Similarly, consider the terrain on your commute because slopes, vegetation, and broken asphalt can slow you down.
Check How Much Storage Space You Have
Once you’ve determined where you’ll be traveling, find out how much space you have to store your shiny new bike. If you live in a tiny apartment and don’t have a lot of storage space, a folding electric bike might be your best option.
If you have a garage or extra space, nothing’s stopping you from getting a larger, more powerful bike, like the Café Cruiser.
You should also consider how much money you’re willing to spend on an electric bike.
Test Ride Different Models
Once you’ve decided what you can afford that fits your needs, test different electric bike models to find one that puts a smile on your face. Pay special attention to the bike’s seat and handling as you take it for a test ride.
Electric bikes are not only an excellent alternative to burning fossil fuels, but they’re also great when you want to ditch your car, skip the hassle of traffic jams, and get to know nature a bit better.
However, not all electric bikes are built alike. So, if you’re thinking about giving eBikes a chance, consider your commuting distance, terrain, and storage space before making a purchase. Also, don’t forget to test different models to find out the best electric bike for city commuting.