Are Electric Bikes Easy To Steal?
January 12, 2023
Electric bikes are becoming increasingly popular as more people look for ways to reduce their carbon footprint and save money on transportation costs. However, new owners are also concerned about whether or not electric bikes are easy to steal.
Regular bikes that are easy to steal are prime targets of most thieves. However, electric bikes are heavier, which makes them more difficult to take. That said, with the higher price tag of an ebike, comes more motivation for theft. Therefore, if a thief tries to steal an electric bike that’s that has been secured appropriately, they might be surprised at how much more effort it takes and will highly reduce the risk of theft.
In addition, electric bikes have a better chance of being recovered if stolen because their owners can use modern GPS devices that are now widely available. If your electric bike ever gets stolen and you don’t have GPS tracking, though, don’t despair–here are a few things you can do to get it back quickly:
- Record the unique serial number on your bike for safekeeping
- File a police report as soon as possible.
- Check online marketplaces and classifieds websites (e.g. Craigslist, eBay, etc.) for your bike’s make and model.
- Contact local bike shops and ask if they’ve seen your bike or have any leads on its whereabouts.
- Keep an eye out for your bike in pawn shops or used bike shops.
- Reach out to your network of friends and family for support and additional information.
Keeping Your Bike Safe from Thieves
There are ways to make your electric bike less attractive to thieves and increase the chances of getting it back if it’s stolen. Here are some tips for keeping your ebike safe:
- Use a quality bike lock, cable, or chain to lock your electric bike up, even if you’re only leaving it for a minute. A heavy-duty U-lock is best.
- If possible, lock your bike in a well-lit, public place with lots of people around. Don’t leave it unattended overnight or for long periods of time.
- Make sure your bike is registered with the police. This will help them identify if it’s stolen and increases the chances of the bike being recovered.
- Use an AirTag or similar GPS tracker to monitor the bike’s whereabouts if it’s stolen.
- Keep a photo of your bike and serial number on hand so you can easily identify it.
Following these tips will help make your electric bike less attractive to thieves and increase the chances of getting it back if it’s stolen. Learn more about this here:
Electric bikes are high price items and may be targeted for theft, but with the precautions and preventative methods you take, the chances are much slimmer. Plan ahead to have resources in place that’ll help you reduce risk and track your bike’s whereabouts at any time. However, if your bike does get stolen, follow the guidelines in this post to recover it.
Want to know if you can charge an electric bike with a solar panel? We have a post just for you!